Followers

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Make it Sparkle

 International Art & Soul, a challenge which has been put together to incorporate any type of craft, paper, wood, flowers, recycling, glass - the world is your oyster :).  Come on over an join us with you artwork :)

Challenge #23
MAKE IT SPARKLE

Oh wow, this was a push at the last minute.  I made my Christmas cake way back in July and since then it has had its weekly cap full of rum, better be a boosy cake.  This is only the second Christmas cake I have made in my life as normally our daughter keeps us some of hers but saying as we are now retired and living back in the UK and not in lovely warm Saudi any more I thought I should make the effort lol.  Yes, it is a traditional fruit cake and I can hardly wait for a piece.  The crackers were also made a few months ago and each one has a rubbish joke as a cracker is not right with anything else along with a small gift suitable for each recipient - the hubby has a lighter in his and my Mum's some Ferrero Roche chocolates.  Alas, my cracker is still empty but hubby assures me he has something to go in it hehehe.


Although I made the cake ages ago I had to leave the icing and decoration until yesterday.  It was out with the apricot jam and the home made marzipan then another first attempt at rolling the icing and draping it over the top as we see done so often on Cake Boss - that was so much easier than I anticipated.  I had planned to make the poinsettia out of thinly rolled icing and die cutting but that did not work well so the back up plan of making the poinsettia out silver paper to match the crackers had to do the trick.  For the leaves on the crackers I used lots of glitter but that would not work for the cake so for these leaves I mixed several pigments from my Brusho collection, luck was on my side and so close to the original glitter I was all smiles.  The Brusho pigments were mixed with extreme silver glue I have and then painted onto card.  Lovely and shiny and no plastic glitter on the cake - perfect.  I created the cake frill using a Crafters Companion edging die and finished it off with silver tape and turquoise ribbon to match the crackers too. The fan shapes on both the crackers and the cake were made from a trellis die and I added turquoise gems for a bit more bling. I am so glad this project turned out as planned as there really was no time if things went wrong and I have had the finished items in my mind and half made for so long.
A close up of one of the crackers, I did have 7 altogether but 2 have been sent to their recipients already.  Silver glitter paper was used around the centres of the crackers which was edged in turquoise ribbon.  More ribbon on the cracker edges and silver tape for balance and a bit more bling.  The poinsettia flowers were cut out of silver stiff paper and the leave white card then glued and dipped into turquoise glitter.  One trellis die cut was all that was needed here and as with the cake, finished off with turquoise gems.
Close up of the cake frill using a Crafters Companion edging die cut 5 times and joined together.  To finish off some more turquoise ribbon and silver tape to match the crackers.
For a bit more shine on the cake I used a silver shimmer cake spray, so hard to photograph but in real light you can see it twinkling.


And now I come to the last challenge of the year for International Art and Soul.  Our current challenge will run for one month (next challenge is on January 7th) so until then I would like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas and send you peaceful blessings for 2018.

Challenges entered:-

22 comments:

  1. Fantastic work Jane, cake and crackers look perfect. I've had no internet for the past hour and was beginning to think I wouldn't get my DT comments made but it's limped its way back. lol All the best for 2018 and please pass my best wished to your mother. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fabulous creation. No one would suspect there is fruitcake under all that loveliness! Hugs and wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fabulous project. I have still to make my marzipan and ice my cake. You have inspired me. Thanks for joining Aud Sentiements challenge. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is all so lovely! Did you know that we don't have crackers here in the USA? I think you know that I am addicted to British sit-com's and murder mysteries. So I see people opening crackers on those shows , I always wish that it was a tradition in the United States .

    Hugs,

    Your DT sister ,

    Chriss

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks amazing and I'm sure it will taste fantastic too! Great crackers as well, love the personalised ones too, much better than shop bought. Thank you for joining us over at Sparkles Monthly Challenge and I hope we'll see you again soon, love Jacky x
    P.S. Have a great Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delight to see and clever way to co-ordinate everything. Perfect for the season. Thank you for sharing your creativity and joining in with the That's Crafty Tis the Season Blog Challenge.
    Best Wishes Tracey DT

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute!
    thank you for joining us at Brown Sugar Challenge
    Tina, Brown Sugar DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! Thanks for sharing at Craftaholics R Us.
    Janis, Owner & Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! The cake looks fantastic! and the crackers are gorgeous...hope hubby doesn't forget your gift!!
    Thanks for joining us at Crafty Calendar this month.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is gorgeous, and it is lovely to see something different to papercrafting for our festive challenge too! Do you want to come and decorate my Christmas pudding (it hasn't actually been made yet mind lol).

    Thanks for playing along with the festivities over at Aud Sentiments,

    Hugz Tinz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning, love the crackers and choice of colours. Your cake looks wonderful, hope you enjoy it. Thank you for sharing with us at Creative Craft Cottage and good luck in the draw. Jennifer Dt member x

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous it will be a shame to cut it. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Sparkles Monthly Challenges.
    Hugs
    Cathy DT Member
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning! Fabulous attention to detail, I love how everything matches! I hope it tastes delicious! Thanks for joining our weekly challenge at QKR Stampede!

    Brenda DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Let's Craft & Create, good luck!!! Amy DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fantastic work. Love the colours and the sparkle and it all matches. Have a wonderful Christmas Mimi.
    Thank you for joining our challenge at
    Let's Craft and Create this week and good luck.. Ursula Uphof DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one beautiful cake. You are making me hungry. What a great use for your dies. So glad you joined us at Die Cut Divas.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! This is beautiful! I love all the sparkle. Thanks for joining us this week at QKR Stampede! Julie, DT member

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic cake and crackers, love the icy blue, thank you for joining in at Paper Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so gorgeous and thanks for sharing with us at Paper Creator hugs Sue J x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful!! Thank you for joining us at Creative Craft Cottage :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very beautifully made! Thank you for sharing with us at Brown Sugar Challenge and hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful! Thanks so much for participating in the Die Cut Divas Challenge this time and good luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi