Followers

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Genie

Time for another challenge over at

Around the World

Welcome back to the IKEsWORLD challenges :)  do pop on over to IKEsWORLD to join in the challenge, just remember, you must use and IKEsART image to be eligible for the prize.  Why not pop on over to the store too :), Ike produces the most amazing stamps, everything from off the wall to cute and fluffy :) :) :)

For this fortnights challenge of Around the World I thought it would be great to work with a digi I have had my eye on for some time :)  The digi is Genie and as I am living at the moment in the Middle East it only seemed right to represent a country from the region.  I am actually in Saudi Arabia but we don't have belly dancing here :) :) :)

To start with I used a photo from Wikipedia which was perfect for this creation.  The image is copyright free to use with modification.  Next I removed the background from the digi and placed her where I wanted her on the photo.  While I am in my art program doing this I also added a quote by Andy Irwin - Don't be afraid to be amazing.  The are so many amazing women in the Middle East, especially here in Saudi who are daring to push the boundaries and moving forward with any independence they can.  We now see ladies working in shops which was unheard of a few years ago although this is not the only location they work.  Many are in mainstream business and use every opportunity to advance their experience and qualifications so as to continue with their growth.  Yes, many are a shining inspiration to me in so many ways.  Ooppps got side tracked there <g>.  Once I had prepared my candle wrapper I printed it on tissue paper.
Next was to colour here in.  You can see I place my tissue paper on regular copy paper for printing and I will leave it like this while I hand colour the image using some new crayons I got this week -  Derwent Inktense oil based crayons - totally yummy :)  I did have to be a bit daring with the colouring especially of the skin as the candles I use place a light cream layer over the image.  Fingers crossed, by leaving the skin a bit on the pink side it will appear more natural later.
 Once the image was colour it I cut the wrapper and placed it on my candle. I then wrapped it in grease proof paper to protect everything while I used my heat gun to melt the wax through the image.
 Done :) now for the finishing touches.  I have some gold powder stuff that is for candles so I applied that to the dancers clothes trim and chains.  I then added some gold wax trim and finished off with a water based candle varnish.  We all know how candles are  rather a safety issue around the house so I try to keep mine as safe as possible in the materials I use.
And here we have the finished candle, I have to admit, I am really pleased with the way this has turned out, it is only the second candle I have done where I have hand coloured the image :)

Ingredients:-
  • Digi - Genie by IKEsART
  • Faber Castle Inktense crayons
  • Candle from IKEA
  • Varnish, trim and gold dust from my stash
I am entering this project into the following challenges:-

9 comments:

  1. Oh WoWza - that is just an amazing creation - I love the process with the tissue paper :-) Excellent colouring and a fantastic piece :-D
    It's great to hear that women are becoming more to the fore over there - fabulous. !
    Hugz
    IKE xxx

    My Challenge Blog
    My Shop
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, a true treasure.Thanks for joining us at the Brown Sugar Challenge. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow great candle!! Thanks for joining us at Crafting From The Heart! Angie-DT

    http://angiescraftblog.blogspot.com/
    http://angiesdigistamps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome candle and great work on the computer, fabulous colouring and just the right amount of too much pink. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is superb in both design and execution. Thanks for joining in at Craft Boots Challenges this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning, I have never tried this technique on a candle.....
    Thank you for joining in our challenge (Not Just Cards) Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! Your are so creative. : ) I read how you made this candle, it's just amazing. I was wondering how you did the background, and you did a fantastic job. I love the gold stuff you put on it, makes it looks really beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Your Teamie,
    Deborah xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi