Followers

Sunday, May 12, 2013

I've got wheels!!!

Hello folks.  We have another challenge at One Stitch At A Time so how about popping over to see all the fabulous creations by the design team.

Challenge #163

Theme ' Summer Fun'

The sponsor this week Craft World with a prize of 3 ProMarkers.


 A wonderful prize I think as we can never have to many ProMarkers amongst our supplies :) You can still enter without using a StitchyBear digi and the prize for the winner is $3 to spend in the store.

This week I had to choose a digi from our wonderful designer 'Pookie', what a difficult job as there are so many brilliant creations to choose from.  In the end I opted for 'Skate Boarder' available from the StitchyBear Digital Outlet.  

I think I set myself a personal challenge with this card, I chose the skate-boarder digi as I don't make many cards suitable for males then got around to designing.  I had an idea in my head and it came together pretty well, keeping an urban feel to the card with a city skyscape using clipart elements from IClipart and then building my own concrete (well paper in my case but representing concrete <g>) skate park.  I love the idea of having the only colour on this card in the sun and the digi.  I added the 'fun in the sun' ribbon which I have had for ages and a Happy Birthday sentiment and then stepped back but something was not quite right, something else was needed.  Time for a text change.  More text but what?  Totally blank, I just could not think what would work with this card and aiming it at a teenage the usual sentiments I use for birthdays were not ones they would appreciate I am sure.  This is a hard card not a soppy one!!!  Then the light bulb switched on and I thought of skateboarding terms, surely something like gliding etc would work fine.  I don't know the first thing about skateboards other than it hurts when you fall off <g>)  Just to be sure I headed over to Wikipedia to see what they had to say - no gliding there but a bunch of very strange terms for maneuvers made.  OK - a different world from one I understand and just in case you are in the same boat as me here are the meanings of the words I have used on the card - enjoy hahahahahaha and if you are any wiser after having read them then I give you a gold star as I am still lacking understanding :)

Fakie: rolling backwards; the rider is in the normal stance, but rolling in the opposite direction.(Basically a switch nollie position)

Goofy-Foot: a skater who more comfortably rides with the right foot leading.

Ollie: performed with the front foot (N/ollie nose ollie) Can be referred as a fake or switch ollie, or it could be added as a prefix to describe any other trick performed in fake or switch stance (Nollie 360 Flip, Nollie Kickflip, Nollie Lazer, etc.)

Crooked Grind: a nosegrind where the nose is angled toward the object and the tail is elevated.

McTwist: a backside 540-degree turn usually performed on a ramp (generally a mute grab).


Recipe:-
  • Digi -  'Skate Boarder' by Pookie Designs, mounted with foam tape and a second arm/hand created and mounted on top again wtih foam tape to help it 'pop'.
  • City skyline and sun background - from IClipart
  • Urban skate park by me and cut out in three sections to add dimension.  Sections were mounted with foam tape
  • Spellbinders Exquisite Circles for the sun
  • X-Cut large tag
  • Ribbon and brads from my stash
I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:-

11 comments:

  1. If you cannot make sense of anything I say here then it's because I am laughing so much (I'm oldish too). I loved the lesson on skatebording terminology (you've just moved me slightly closer into the 21st century) and the way you have taylored this 'groovy' (age showing again) card to your youth market has worked so well. I wish I knew a skateboarding teen because I would love to give them this card .... wouldn't do my street cred any harm either :-) Well done Jane ... oh, and I'm still laughing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant and I'm sure all those words must mean something to someone. I'm like you, blank! Great card. Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card - love how you've combined all the elements!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great urban scene you've created! I love all the bright yellow on this card, it's a great combination with the grey and black! Brilliant design for a teenaged boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant card, perfect, thanks for joining in my challenge at Allsorts this week, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab card! the sentiment I had to read out loud. Love it! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments. Joey xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun card and great sentiment! Thanks so much for playing at Crafty Sentiments this week:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat card! I love the way you used this image and the sentiment is perfect! Thank you so much for joining us this week at the Crafty Sentiments Designs! I hope you can play along with us again soon!

    Jackie, Crafty Sentiments Designs DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous card Mimi, love all the detail and you've taught me all I know about skateboarding ;-) Thank you so much for joining us at Allsorts for our sporty challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful card - Thanks for joining us at Crafty Sentiments this week
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done on trying something new, I wouldn't have had a clue what the words meant so thankyou for the translation :)

    Very funky card perfect for a teenager.

    Love Mandy xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi